Sunday, February 22, 2009

My teenage son is a World of Warcraft addict

I decided to start a blog because my son is addicted to World of Warcraft and we are struggling to understand it and help him overcome it. I am hoping this blog will do a couple of things: first, provide me with a therapeutic outlet; and second connect with other parents who are struggling with their kids' WoW addiction. Maybe we can help and support each other.

Josh (not his real name) has played for a couple of years now. It started out innocently enough. He played a couple hours a day when he didn't have anything else to do. Now it's all he wants to do. I am no authority on addictions, but he seems to exhibit all the behaviors of an addict: he gets crabby and argumentative when he can't play; when he's really nice to us, we know it's because he's found a way around our restrictions and has figured out how to get his next fix. He's become devious and deceitful in his attempts to get more playing time. His grades are getting worse and he doesn't seem to really care. He's become emotionally overwrought since we took the game away from him and has said life isn't worth living. As a result he is currently hospitalized in an adolescent psych ward.

I plan to chronicle how we ended up in this situation and how we (hopefully) get out of it with a healthy and well-adjusted son.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I wonder how Josh is doiong. It has been 2 years since your last blog. Tell us what id going on..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing...Josh is doing great! After months of slow but steady progress, he is getting ready to graduate from Monarch at the end of April. We are delighted and so proud of all that he has accomplished. I will write more later...

    ReplyDelete