Sunday, August 2, 2009

We Seek Actionable Advice on How to Handle WoW Addiction

Bill and I realize that just having Josh go to therapy once a week is not going to get us anywhere. The therapist recommends doing family therapy as well. He says that even if Josh won't go, it would do us good to have someone to talk to. I don't have a problem with that but it doesn't seem to be the answer either. Finally I tell the therapist that what we really want is specific, actionable advice on how to handle Josh and his gaming problem. We have tried everything we can think of and nothing works. We don't know how to help our son. I have looked online and come across some bootcamp programs where desperate parents send their out of control teens, and thought, "maybe this is the answer". But then I found a web site by a mom who warns that these programs are often scams and do much more harm than good. She is speaking from personal experience because she sent her daughter to one. This has really freaked me out. Would I have fallen for one of these scams if I had not come across her site?

The therapist gives me the name of an educational consultant. I did not know there was such a thing and I don't know what exactly they do, but I make an appointment and Bill and I go see her. We describe our problem and she tells us about wilderness therapy and how that has been effective with kids who have addictions and other behavioral or emotional issues. Unlike the "bootcamp" programs, wilderness therapy is not based on deprivation but rather intensive therapy, self awareness etc. Also, this consultant has no affiliation with any of the programs she recommends and gets no kick back (unlike some of the consultants who recommend bootcamps). She also recommends only programs she has personally vetted. She gives us the names of 4 programs she thinks could help Josh. They are several weeks in length (open-ended based on how fast and well the child progresses) and very expensive. Also, many times it is recommended that the child go on to a therapeutic boarding school afterwards to sustain and build on the progress made at the wilderness program. Needless to say, these schools are also very expensive.

Bill and I leave the counselor's office with a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment